3 Reasons you should say Yes to a First Look on your Wedding Day!
When it comes to creating your wedding day timeline, you're inevitably going to have to answer one tough question - do we do a first look or keep it 'traditional'?
For those of you who don't know what it is, a First Look is when you plan a time before your ceremony to see each other for the first time rather than the traditional seeing each other for the first time as the bride is walking down the aisle.
It's funny that the phrase "keeping it traditional" is used for your other option though... more than half of my couples each year opt to do a First Look! They had great reasons (and a little push from their photographer 😉). Here's why:
3 REASONS YOU SHOULD SAY YES TO A FIRST LOOK:
1. Two words: ALONE TIME. You won’t get much of it on your wedding day, which is after all a celebration of your love. Scheduling a first look and some alone time with your significant other is a great way to soak in all the love and allllll the feels 😉
2. If you're nervous about all eyes on you during your ceremony, a First Look is a great way to calm those nerves. No longer are you going into your ceremony alone, about to see your very-soon-to-be husband or wife for the first time with everyone watching. Now you guys are in it together! You've already seen each other, spent some taking in how darn exciting it is that it's your wedding day is and now you are ready to get this thing done!
Some couples also like to take time during their First Look to exchange their vows - doing so in a private, intimate setting.
3. Then there’s the awesome perk of being able to get all of your wedding party photos taken before your ceremony!! Allowing you to schedule enough time for photos so that you’re not rushing through them (after all you're paying a photographer a pretty penny for these pics!). This is especially helpful if your ceremony and reception are all in one location and you are on a strict time limit for your wedding party and couples photos.
BONUS: After your ceremony you can enjoy your cocktail hour with your guests!
I know for some people, it's hard to break away from wanting to see each other for the first time while walking down the aisle. You're worried that there just won't be the same level of emotions if you see each other before the ceremony.
Well you can toss out that myth right now. Not only are all of those emotions still there... you're able to actually soak them all in and take your time seeing each other for the first time on your wedding day.
Some people prefer the first look because it's so much more private... there's not 75 sets of eyes on you as you have this intimate moment seeing each other for the first time on your wedding day. Others just love the convenience of being able to take lots of photos before their ceremony so that they can enjoy their cocktail hour.
Whatever your reasoning, you simply can't go wrong with a First Look!
STILL FEEL LIKE THE TRADITION OF SEEING EACH OTHER FOR THE FIRST TIME AT THE CEREMONY IS MORE YOUR STYLE? That's ok too!!
Here are some other fun alternatives:
1. Opt for a "first touch" - you can still read your vows in private and calm your nerves by getting to speak to your honey before you walk down the aisle. But no peeking is allowed!
2. Before your ceremony you can still knock out some bridal party portraits such as the bride squad or groom's team. That way there's less formal portraits to take between your ceremony and reception (if you're pressed for time).
Have any questions about first looks or creating your timeline? CONTACT ME! I'd be happy to answer them for you 🖤